Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Get off the Bus...your FREE RIDE is over!

So today I went to see my oncologist.  I talked to her about the pain....err I mean lump in my neck.   I also explained to her that I was having pain up through my neck and around my ear (my husband teased me that my ear hurt because I was on the phone too much), but it turns out, the enlarged lymph node in my neck was causing a blockage in the lymphatic system, and I have also been having pain when I wake up in the morning and take a deep breath, by abdomen is really sore.  She said I am now more symptomatic than I have been in the past and she thinks I need to start treatment right away.
    We talked about some different options.  One of the options was to do a new protocol of Treanda chemotherapy along with rituxin therapy.  She sent home some papers for me to read up on these drugs, the side effects, etc.  She also gave me some papers to schedule 3 things right away...
1. a port placed in my neck to administer the drugs through
2. schedule a heard to toe CAT scan
3. a prescription for a drug to help my kidneys function through treatment  (I guess when the chemo kills the cancer your kidneys have to filter it out of your body and that can be hard on them....go figure)

I left her office and dropped the papers off at the scheduling desk.  I just couldn't schedule right at that moment.  I need a day to process/feel bad for myself.  I plan on getting a good nights sleep, praying about it a lot, and then seeing how I feel in the morning.
  I also emailed my oncologist at Stanford University.  I haven't seen her for 3 years, but I really wanted her opinion before I started treatment. 

(  ONE DAY LATER).....

I'm finishing the post the next day.  I've allowed myself one good "feel sorry for myself" day, and now it's time to move on...look the laundry's not going to do itself, right?

I woke up this morning and checked my email, still no reply from Stanford.  That's OK, because I feel good about moving forward.  I feel like it's the right thing to do right now.

I called the oncology scheduling desk.  She asked how soon I wanted to schedule, and I wondered if NEVER was an appropriate answer.  ha, ha   The words  *as soon as possible* actually came out of my mouth.  so here's what's coming up....

Friday, Oct 1st   head to toe CAT scan
Monday, Oct. 4th   Port placement surgery
Monday, Oct 11th  follow up dr appt / schedule first treatment

But,  for today, September 28th here's what going on around here:

1. Laundry
2. vacuum
3. clean up TV room
4. play with Hope

#4 is my favorite! ;)  Have a great day!  I will!


To read my first post from my original diagnosis back in 2007  click here

No comments:

Post a Comment