Saturday, February 12, 2011

Delayed

 SO, I'm on a very strong antibiotic right now, IV style.  It's called Vancomycin.  It's not bad to take..no major  side effects.  I started it Monday night at the infusion center.  And then I went back to the infusion center Tuesday morning for another dose.  Tuesday night a Home Health nurse came to our house and showed us how to hook up the antibiotic at home.  It's super easy  (no needle pokes thanks to my port).
  This morning I originally scheduled to go in for my 6th and final chemo treatment.  But  my appointment  was changed for me to come in earlier and have my antibiotic treatment, and then see Dr. V .  She told me that she wanted to hold off on my chemo because of the infection, so I will have the chemo on Monday  (Valentine's D♥Y).  Oh well.  This is how it is.  Expect the unexpected.

(I started this post last week.  Today is Saturday.....here's what's new)

    Yesterday (Friday) I woke up feeling sick again.  Low grade fever and just overall feeling yucky.  I called Dr. V and she said my blood cultures came back just fine, so the original culture that showed infection could have just been contamination from when they did the culture.  She thought I could just have a virus...things are going around.  But just in case, she has me taking another oral antibiotic.
   I had 2 more rounds of the IV antibiotic left, and to be honest, I was looking forward to being DONE with that.  And then last night a man knocked on my door and was delivering TWELVE more doses of the IV antibiotic.  I could not believe it.  I called Dr. V to verify she really wanted me to take that many more doses even though my blood cultures came back OK.  She said "Yes.  Just to be safe".
   So....I guess I will continue taking  IV antibiotic until Thursday.  And then this Monday is chemo.  The plan is to have the chemo next week, finish out the antibiotic, and then have my port removed.

GOOD THOUGHT:
I'm on the countdown.  And it can not come soon enough! :)

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you can see the light at the end! Hang in there. Antibiotics are great but the side effects stink. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stumbled upon this website and felt like telling you that my wife went through what I think is similar treatment in 2009 into Jan 2010. She's doing great now! It can definitely happen so continue to stay focused on the present, enjoy every moment with your family and kick cancer's booty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait for you to be done with all this!!! Love you!
    J

    ReplyDelete